01/07/2023

References to other writers in Sermons 4


In Volume 4 of his published sermons (Short Discourses Vol 4) Beddome makes reference to these sources

4:6 1 Thessalonians 5:17 Pray without ceasing
The Baptist Catechism (1693)

What is prayer? Prayer is an offering up our desires to God, by the assistance of the Holy Spirit, for things agreeable to his will, in the name of Christ, believing, with confession of our sins, and thankful acknowledgments of his mercies.

Early on Beddome says
We have a beautiful and comprehensive description of this sacred duty in our Catechism. Prayer say the Compilers of that excellent compendium is the offering up of our desires to God. It is the act of a needy indigent creature seeking relief from the fountain of mercy.

He then quotes the other parts of the catechism answer as he goes on.

Also at the end of the same sermon he quotes the martyr Richard Roth (d 1557)

It was the advice given by one of the martyrs to a friend in Queen Mary's time "Pray pray pray" and there are few good men but who in their last hours have reason to wish that they had prayed more.

4:7 1 Thessalonians 5:18
John Bradford (1510-1555)

I have no quarrel with the queen. If she release me I will thank her, if she imprison me I will thank her, if she burn me I will thank her.

As a holy martyr said of queen Mary "If she release me I will thank her if she imprison me I will thank her if she burn me I will thank her so should every believer say of God". Let him do what he will with me I will still be thankful.

4:12 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

God only can set bounds to it saying to a raging lust as he did to the raging sea. Hitherto thou hast gone but thou shalt go no farther. Seeming evils make for real ones as in cleaving of wood, the lesser makes way for the greater. He who sups up the broth will by and bye taste of the meat. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. 

The first saying bhas not been traced but the second was collected by Franklin in 1736

4:14 Luke 22:48
William Shakespeare (1564-1616)

There is something in this like the words of Caesar to Brutus, when aiming a dagger at his heart ...

4:15 Acts 1:25

John Milton (1608-1674) Paradise Lost (Book 1 l 61ff)

A dungeon horrible, on all sides round
As one great furnace flamed, yet from these flames
No light but rather darkness visible
Served only to discover sights of woe,
Regions of sorrow, doleful shades where peace
And rest can never dwell, hope never comes
That comes to all; but torture without end
Still urges and a fiery deluge, fed
With ever burning sulphur unconsumed.

4:19 Zechariah 3:2

John Chrysostom (*)

St. Chrysostom calls this a greater miracle than the darkening of the sun, the trembling of the earth, or the rending of the veil of the temple. Surely this is also a brand plucked out of the fire .

No comments: