According to my understanding, Beddome became a student at Bristol in 1737 and moved on to London in 1739. However, the notes he took of Foskett's lectures on pneumatology now in Bristol are dated 1741 by which time he had been called to Bourton. This suggests some post-college work or a return to the college perhaps.
In Pictures from the past Thomas Brooks writes
We have seen our fathers building a new chapel in 1701, erecting a house for their minister in 1741, "enlarging and repairing" the chapel in 1748, and strengthening the same in 1750. We must now notice a work which exceeds in magnitude either of the preceding. The following extract from the church-book, will set it clearly before us—
"Oct 10, 1764. We entered upon a subscription for enlarging and rebuilding our meeting house, in which Mr. Snook was the principal actor, and of which he was the most generous promoter. The old meeting-house, though altered and enlarged, was neither convenient nor sufficiently capacious, yet most were contented. However, through the indefatigable application of Mr. Snook, the new building was erected."
The dimensions of this new chapel were forty feet by thirty-five within the walls. The materials of the old chapel were made available as far as possible, or prudent, and exclusive of these, the cost of the new building was ,£473 14s. l0d. Toward this sum, ,£69 were received as "Benefactions from abroad." These were almost exclusively from London. Dr. Stennett procured and sent twenty guineas; George Baskerville, Esq., contributed ten guineas, and sent ten guineas more for a friend of his. Of the £404 raised by the church and congregation, Mr. Snook gave £128 7s., i.e., £100, and the pulpit, sounding-board, &c., which cost £28 7s. Mr. Beddome contributed £30, and the rest was raised by smaller subscriptions, ranging from £20 to 5s.
It must not be overlooked, however, that much work was given, as well as money. And but for this the cost of the building would have appeared to be much greater. "Mr. Snook employed his team and servants almost continually. Mr. Boswell sent his team twenty-four days; Dr. Paxford twenty-four days; Mr. Truby five days ; Thomas Cresser one day; John Strange six days; Mr. Eadburn two days; Mr. Hurbert six days; Robert Taylor two days; Mr. Bosbery one day; William Wood two days; John Hurbert, labourer, gave a week's work, and John Phillips gave the same with self and horse."
The new chapel appears to have been opened in August, 1765. In that year the Association met at Bourton, and as the new chapel would not be ready at Whitsuntide it was agreed to defer the meeting to Wednesday, August 14th.
I found this here.
It is unsurprising, given his relentless touring, that John Wesley should have visited the Cotswolds. He is believed to have visited Winchcombe twice, in 1755 and again in 1779, when he stayed at a medieval house on the High Street. This house, now a hotel, is named the Wesley House Hotel in honour of its former resident. ... Winchcombe was a stopover for Wesley en route to Tewkesbury, so he possibly never addressed locals here; but it would not have been impossible that he did.
He certainly visited Stow-on-the-Wold [Stow is 5 miles from Bourton], some 30 years earlier. On that occasion, in 1767 (Sep 28), he stayed at the Kings Arms, and recorded that the Stow folks had been a "very dull, quiet congregation". It took another 30 years for Methodism to properly arrive in the town – significantly, with the arrival of preachers from Winchcombe. The Wesleyan Methodist chapel on Sheep Street wasn’t built until the mid 19th century.
Wesley is also said to have preached at Buckland, a village near Broadway, using the parish church of St Michael as his base. Also near Broadway is Stanton, where John and his brother Charles regularly visited, due to links with Lionel and Robert Kirkham, who both had spells as village rector in the 18th century. Given the Cotswolds’ proximity to cities such as Bristol, Bath and Oxford, all visited by Wesley, it is logical for him to have stayed at places around the region. Travelling by horse meant regular stops would have been needed on the way to visit his congregations, and the Cotswolds were home to comfortable lodgings and sympathetic residents.
Labels: John Wesley
Object Type In Britain, paper printed with patterns has been used for decorating walls since the 16th century. By the later 19th century, wallpapers were widely used by all classes, in homes but also in public buildings.
Until the late 18th century, London was the centre of the wallpaper trade. Wallpapers manufactured in London were sold throughout the country, and exported to France and other parts of Continental Europe. From the 1750s English wallpapers were also sent out to America. In 1754 a Boston newspaper advertised 'Printed Paper for Rooms lately imported from London'. The pillar and arch style of wallpaper decoration was particularly popular in America. English wallpapers fell out of favour after the War of Independence (1776-1783), when America severed its political links with Britain, and American customers began to prefer French styles. At the same time an American wallpaper industry was being established.
Pillar and arch pattern wallpapers were not widely used in Britain, but this unused piece was left over from the re-decoration in 1769 of the manor house at Bourton-on-the-Water, Gloucestershire. Similar patterns survive in a number of American houses. This particular design has been reproduced specifically for the refurbishment of an historic house museum - Gunston Hall, in Lorton, Virginia - where it has been hung in the entrance hall. In the 18th and 19th centuries most makers and sellers of paper-hangings (as wallpapers were then called) specified that the bold design of pillar and arch patterns were best suited to halls and stair-wells.
Michael Haykin blogged this some time ago here and I missed it.
Benjamin Beddome ... had an excellent library, which contained numerous Puritan works, to whom he was deeply indebted. A good portion of that library is housed today as the “Beddome Collection” in the Archives of the Angus Library at Regent’s Park College, the University of Oxford. That indebtedness can be seen in the occasional comments he made in these precious volumes.
In his copy of Abraham Cheare’s Words in Season (London, 1668) [Cheare was a Baptist minister in Plymouth] — for instance, Beddome noted of Cheare’s work:
“Many excellent Things in it especially in 2 first Discourses. The Author seems to have a great Depth & Reach of Understanding—& very pertinent Manner of applying Scriptures.”
Many of the Baptist works of the 17th century, like this one by Cheare, were never reprinted. And yet it is clear that they continued to influence divines in the 18th century.
Beddome, Benjamin , M.A. This prolific hymnwriter was born at Henley-in-Arden, Warwickshire, Jan. 23, 1717, where his father, the Rev. John Beddome, was at that time Baptist Minister. He was apprenticed to a surgeon in Bristol, but removing to London, he joined, in 1739, the Baptist church in Prescott St. At the call of this church he devoted himself to the work of the Christian ministry, and in 1740 began to preach at Bourton-on-the-Water, in Glou¬cestershire. Declining invitations to remove to London or elsewhere, he continued pastor at Bourton until his death, on Sep. 3, 1795, at the age of 78. Mr. Beddome was for many years one of the most respected Baptist ministers in the West of England. He was a man of some literary culture. In 1770 he received the degree of M.A. from Providence College, Rhode Island. He was the author of an Exposition of the Baptist Catechism, 1752, in great repute at the time, and reprinted by Dr. C. Evans in 1772. It was his practice to prepare a hymn every week to be sung after his Sunday morning sermon. Though not originally intended for publication, he allowed thirteen of these to appear in the Bristol Baptist Collection of Ash & Evans (1769), and thirty-six in Dr. Rippon's Baptist Selection (1787), whence a number of them found their way into the General Baptist Hymn Book of 1793 and other collections. In 1817, a posthumous collection of his hymns was published, containing 830 pieces, with an introduction by the Rev. Robert Hall, and entitled "Hymns adapted to Public Worship or Family Devotion, now first published from the Manuscripts of the late Rev. B. Beddome, M.A."
Preface dated "Leicester, Nov. 10, 1817." Some of the early copies bear the same date on the title page. Copies bearing both the 1817 and 1818 dates are in the British Museum. The date usually given is 1818. Some hymns are also appended to his Sermons, seven volumes of which were published l805—1819; and over twenty are given in the Baptist Register of various dates.
Beddome's hymns were commended by Montgomery as embodying one central idea, "always important, often striking, and sometimes ingeniously brought out." Robert Hall's opinion is just, when in his "Recommendatory Preface" to the Hymns, &c, he says, p. vii.:—
"The man of taste will be gratified with the beauty and original turns of thought which many of them ex¬hibit, while the experimental Christian will often perceive the most secret movements of his soul strikingly delineated, and sentiments pourtrayed which will find their echo in every heart."
With the exception of a few composed for Baptisms and other special occasions, their present use in Great Britain is limited, but in America somewhat extensive. One of the best is the Ordination Hymn, "Father of Mercies, bow Thine ear." Another favourite is “ My times of sorrow and of joy," composed, by a singular coincidence, to be sung on Sunday, Jan. 14, 1778, the day on which his son died, most unexpectedly, in Edinburgh. "Let party names no more," is very popular both in Great Brit, and America. "Faith, His a precious gift," "Witness, ye men and angels, now," and the hymn for Holy Baptism, "Buried beneath the yielding wave," are also found in many collections. Beddome's popularity is, however, now mainly in America.
[Rev. W. R. Stevenson, M.A.]
In addition to about 40 of Beddome's hymns in common use which are annotated in this dictionary under their respective first lines, there are also the following 69, all of which are in use either in Great Britain or America, in the former to a limited extent and in the latter somewhat extensively. ...
Beddome is thus seen to be in common use to the extent of about 100 hymns. In this respect he exceeds every other Baptist hymnwriter; Miss Steele ranking second.
The authorities for Beddome's hymns are: (1) A Collection of Hymns adapted to Public Worship, Bristol, W. Pine, 1769, the Collection of Ash & Evans; (2) Dr. Rippon'sSelections 1787, and later editions; (3) Sermons printed from the Manuscripts of the late Rev. Benjamin Beddome, M.A.,... with brief Memoir of the Author, Dunstable & Lond., 1805-1819; (4) Dr. Rippon's Baptist Register, 1795, &c.; (5) The Beddome Manuscripts, in the Baptist College, Bristol; (6) and Hymns adapted to Public Worship, or Family Devotion now first published, from Manuscripts of the late Rev. B. Beddome, A.M. With a Recommendatory Preface by the Rev. R. Hall, A.M. Lond., 1817. In his Preface, Mr. Hall gives this account of the Beddome Manuscript:— "The present Editor was entrusted several years ago with the MSS, both in prose and verse, with permission from the late Messrs. S. & B. Beddome, sons of the Author, to publish such parts of them as he might deem proper. He is also indebted to a descendant of the Rev. W. Christian, formerly pastor of the Baptist Church at Sheepshead, Leicestershire, for some of the Author's valuable hymns, which had been carefully preserved in the family. From both these sources, as well as others of less consequence, the present interesting volume has been derived."