21/04/2017

Will of Beddome's mother, Rachel

I Rachel Beddome of the City of Bristol make this my last Will and Testament if form and manner following whereas I have in a Deed dated October the 29th 1757 agreed that my son Benjamin Beddome shall within a certain time after my decease therein expressed have the sum of two hundred pounds, now it is my will that the said sum of two hundred pounds be allowed him out of my effects as also that if he has a mind to sell the Estate in the Parish of Saint George near Bristol and the house in Montague Street in which I now live within one year after my decease and the money arising from the said sale amounts to less than eight hundred and fifty pounds the deficiency shall be made up out of my effects so that he may have the whole after my death One thousand and fifty pounds.
Item: I give and bequeath to my son Joseph Beddome and his heirs the sum of six hundred and fifty pounds but not so much besides what I am bound to Mr. Joseph Grimes for on his account but including all that both principal and interest be it more or less.
Item: I give and bequeath to my granddaughter Rachel Beddome and her heirs the house in back Lane with all its appurtenances in which Mrs Bull now lives.
Item: I give to my good friends the Reverend Mr John Thomas and Mr. Peter Holland the sum of five hundred pounds in trust that it may be put out in good security and the interest given to my daughter Mary Bright during the term of her natural life and after her decease or any time before if she thinks fit such part of the interest or principal as she chuses and after her death the whole principal to be given to my granddaughter Mary Brain when she arrives at the age of twenty one and her heirs but in case my said granddaughter Mary Brain dont arrive at the age of twenty one or leaves no issue I give it to my son in law Edward Bright for the term of his natural life and after his death to be divided equally between the families of my sons Benjamin and Joseph Beddome and Martha Ludlow where there are children or a child and also equally between the children of those families it is also my will and desire that if my son in law Edward Bright and my daughter Mary Bright have a mind to improve the said sum of five hundred pounds in trade then my trustees the Reverend Mr John Thomas and Mr Peter Holland shall put the same sum of five hundred pounds into their hands upon finding sufficient security for its forthcoming to the ends and purposes before mentioned.
Item: I give to my good friends the Reverend Mr John Thomas and Mr Peter Holland the sum of five hundred and fifty pounds in trust to be paid after my decease to my daughter Martha Ludlow altho' covert by her present husband or any other husband to her own separate use to be dispoased of when or how she shall think fit in her lifetime or by her last will properly witnessed and her receipt notwithstanding her present or any other coverture shall be a sufficient discharge to the said trustees the Reverend Mr John Thomas and Mr Peter Holland for any deficiency in my assets the same if by reason of any losses thereby my will is that each of my four children shall bear an equal share of such lossses to make up the said deficiency.
Item: I give to my honoured friend the Reverend Mr John Thomas five pounds and to my good friend Mr Peter Holland the sum of three guineas for their trouble as trustees.
Lastly I nominate and appoint my son Benjamin Beddome aforesaid Sole Executor of this my last Will and Testament this Tenth day of February in this year of Our Lord Seven Hundred and Fifty Eight.
Rachel Beddome sealed delivered and declared to be the last Will and Testament of the Testatrix to us who in her presence and at her desire set our hands as witnesses thereto: Bernard Foskett, Hugh Evans, Samuel George.

This is an additional document, which was not signed, giving her views on where personal items of hers should go ....
I make my private will February the tenth 1758 as followeth my ????.
I leave to my daughter Beddome of Bourton my ring
??? to my brother-in-law Foskett for his wife and after him to my son Benjamin and after him to his eldest son John Beddome, and my letters and writings I give to my daughter Ludlow that are not of use to my Executor with the boxes that they are in and I give to my daughter Ludlow the clock and the mahogany desk with the writings in it as I said before that are not of use to the Executor, and I give to my daughter Ludlow my black silk gown and what plain black silk I may have by me to make it up. I give to my daughter Ludlow my aunt and uncle's copies in pictures and the cabinet in the parlour
I give to my daughter Bright my workt couch workt with my own hands and at her death I would have her give it to my daughter Ludlow. I give to my daughter Bright any two workt pictures she may chuse except the Ten Commandments I promised to my son Benjamin
My great easy chair I leave to Mrs Tommas
My black sattin gown I leave to Rachel Beddome in consideration of my daughter Ludlow's wearing her mother's black suit of clothes made of --- of three sorts as Mr Hoskett got her upon marriage but if my daughter Beddome has a mind to make up my sattin gown for herself then it is my Will she should have any sattin Hatbands or Hatband I have by me to help make it up for herself and she may give the child a gown instead of it but I have gave or shall give Joseph twenty pounds in consideration that Patty and Sally wore some of his wives old gowns they wore out but three old ones and they never had a good one and I give Joseph the use of a 100 pounds from January 18 1758 in consideration of the same viz my daughters wearing some of his wifes things and in consideration of his giving --- guineas and Patty money to buy her clothes. If I live long four pounds a year will pay him, if I don't he will be a greater gainer by my death.
I give my black chest of drawers to Rachel Beddome
And my walnut chest of drawers to Mary Braine
And I give to my brother Joseph Brandon my silver mugg and a couple of silver spoons that were my aunts.
I give to my Counsin Sarah Biggs my purple damask gown and a crepe gown if I have one and a quilted coat and a cloak and a hood and three or four aprons and 4 shifts and two or three caps and some Cover usseys and two or three Muslon Hankerchiefs and whatever other things of mine my daughter Bright and my daughter Ludlow shall think proper and what they send I would have put in a box and my Executor to pay the carriage to London. Cousin Briggs is my first cousin by father and mother's sides and I hope is a good woman and very poor.
My ?Ferret I will to my son Benjamin
Item I give and bequeath to the Pithay Church
to help buy a parsonage house a hundred pounds
100.0.-
Item I give to Mrs Heritage three guineas3.3.-
Item I give to Betty Kendall my maid three guineas3.3.-
Item I give to Mrs Heritage three guineas3.3.-
Item I give to Mary Carpenter for her own use1.1.-
Item I give to Mrs ?Belcher of ?Healy1.1.-
Item I give to Elizabeth Strange as was my sons maid1.1.-
Item I give to cousin Sarah Biggs2.2.-
________
112.12.-
Aulester20--.-
________
132.12.-
Item I give to Auster Church as Mr. Beddome desired me20.0.-
All as I am worth besides my household goods at the writing of this, 3200 pounds when Mr. Fosskett is paid the 350 pounds that I and my husband borrowed of him I have left upon Will including the two estates of my sons £025.3.-
I would have my household goods praised after my death but left to stand as they be if Mr Foskett desires it for it be for half a year when they are to be sold. I would have every child beginning at the oldest to take any one piece they shall think paying down the price at which they are appraised and they may thus so again in the same order as often as they please but not to sell anything again but only such things as they will keep for themselves.

[Perhaps Elizabeth Strange was another daughter of the deacon Joseph Strange, sister to Nanny].

No comments: