07/07/2008

Beddome Sermons Volume 5

Volume 5 of the "Short discourses" appeared in 1816 and in 1833. Texts taken are as follows.
  1. Mark 9:38 And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us.
  2. Isaiah 54:11 O thou afflicted, tossed with tempest, and not comforted, behold, I will lay thy stones with fair colours, and lay thy foundations with sapphires.
  3. Proverbs 28:13 He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy.
  4. Zechariah 8:23 Thus saith the LORD of hosts; In those days it shall come to pass, that ten men shall take hold out of all languages of the nations, even shall take hold of the skirt of him that is a Jew, saying, We will go with you: for we have heard that God is with you.
  5. Acts 8:29 Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot.
  6. Matthew 11:30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
  7. Zechariah 3:8 Hear now, O Joshua the high priest, thou, and thy fellows that sit before thee: for they are men wondered at: for, behold, I will bring forth my servant the BRANCH.
  8. Ezekiel 34:17 And as for you, O my flock, thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I judge between cattle and cattle, between the rams and the he goats.
  9. Acts 14:3 Long time therefore abode they speaking boldly in the Lord, which gave testimony unto the word of his grace, and granted signs and wonders to be done by their hands. 
  10. *Titus 3:9 But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.
  11. Matthew 3:9 And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.
  12. Acts 16:29, 30 Then he called for a light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and Silas, And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
  13. Acts 16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
  14. Jeremiah 25:6 And go not after other gods to serve them, and to worship them, and provoke me not to anger with the works of your hands; and I will do you no hurt.
  15. Matthew 20:6 And about the eleventh hour he went out, and found others standing idle, and saith unto them, Why stand ye here all the day idle?
  16. Hebrews 8:12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.
  17. Psalms 39:13 O spare me, that I may recover strength, before I go hence, and be no more.
  18. Psalms 119:96 I have seen an end of all perfection: but thy commandment is exceeding broad.
  19. Proverbs 30:8 Remove far from me vanity and lies: give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me:
  20. Luke 13:7 Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground?

* This is the sermon preached at a ministers’ meeting in Fairford, Gloucestershire when Beddome coming to preach forgot what the sermon was to be. On the way from pew to pulpit he leaned over and asked the church’s pastor ‘Brother Davis, what must I preach from?’ Thinking it an odd remark Davis replied, in rebuke, ‘Ask no foolish questions’. Not understanding correctly, Beddome went on to deliver this ‘remarkably methodical, correct, and useful’ sermon on Titus 3:9 ‘Avoid foolish questions’!

No comments: