29/10/2020

Kinghorn and a brief reference to Beddome

In a letter of October, 1788 Joseph Kinghorn (later of Norwich) speaks of going to Bourton and consulting Beddome's assistant Wilkins. He says Beddome agreed with Wilkins.

Fairford, October 28th, 1788
DEAR FATHER AND MOTHER,

I was very glad of yours of the 7th instant, and particularly pleased that you were ignorant of the confusion and anxiety I have been in for the last month. The very day after I sent off my last to you I received an invitation to a church at Hanley, Staffordshire; they wrote to me on the recommendation of Mr. Hopper, of Nottingham, who informed them I was at liberty. This put me and my friends here into a flutter. I directly wrote to Mr. Evans, we were then nothing but consultations, &c. On the 12th a meeting was called, at which only thirteen were present, eight signed, two were neuter, and three against. For my part I was in a dreadful dilemma - wrote again to Mr. Evans - took a horse and went to Mr. Dunscombe, [in coate] and then to Bourton-on-the-Water. Mr. D. taking in all circumstances, thought my further stay desirable for some time at least. At Bourton, Mr. Wilkins said he thought the best way would be to reject every partial invitation, but make them an offer of my services till they could meet with one in whom they could more cordially unite. Mr. Beddome highly approved the advice. My friends agreed to the measure, as by this means my stay had a peaceable appearance. I did so on the 19th instant; the opposition were struck, and the proposal was applauded by all, (two or three excepted,) it was considered as a generous Christian-like proposal: by this means those who before seemed neuter, are more attached to me. On this ground I now am. The only thing that could induce me to take this step was a desire to keep them together. I trust it was the direction of providence. Our congregation keeps up, Arlington is pleasing, and I have additional hopes that I have been useful. Yours in duty and affection,
J. K.

No comments: