04/11/2022

Letter from Thomas Dawson to Eleazar Wheelock on Occom and Beddome

Dear Sir
There are many impediments attending applications I have made for our American Friends – at Fairford one of the meetings have had a Gallery Lately Erected the other partly new pews, &c & both in Debt – Mr Beddome from Bourton on the Water writes me thus "As to the american Collection It seems as if you would (if call'd thereto) make a Notable Beggar but considering the great expence that has lay upon us about the meetg House & a debt remaining of near 30£ those of our people to whom I have mentioned it don't seem very forward to encourage it - I beleive at least it must be defferd a little longer" - I saw Mr Parry last Saturday who highly approved of the plan but seem'd very cool abt the thing upon farther conversation I found he had been told by a person lately come from London that Mr Whitaker & Mr Occom on waiting on a certain Gentleman in London he recommended them to act in Concert with a Society who had for some time back set on foot a scheme for propagating the Gospel abroad and desired them after they had spoke with the Managers of that society to come to him again but having not seen them afterwards it lookt like a party affair as this Gentmn was a Presbyterian, &c: - Now this being the Case Mr Parry won't choose to do anything in it till … thing. I told him his best way was to Write to the Gentmn abt it, he said he would adding that it was not related clearly to him what the Case was Now Sr not to make many remarks upon this Story I observe; that I don't see how Mr W & Occom could act in concert & joyn stocks with any set of men; their commission not extending to such a Lattitude, as to their not calling on the Gentmn afterwards I can't pretend to assign their reasons - I shall see Mr Parry some time next week & that he intends to do & will give you a Line - I am in haste yr Friend& Servt Thomas Dawson, Cirencester 29 Augt '66
I find you have Sent a pamphlet to Cheltenham which otherwise I shd have done
From Mr Dawson of Cirencester Augt (?) 29 1766

No comments: