18/11/2022

References to other writers in Sermons 2


In Volume 2 of his published sermons (Short Discourses Vol 2) Beddome refers to a number of writers, as follows.

2:9
Augustine (354-430)
The world troubles ... me, says one of old, and yet I love it. What (should I do) if it did not trouble me?

and

Samuel Rutherford (1600-1661)
I am not myself (myself is not myself, mine own is no longer mine own yet our aiming at this in all we do shall be accepted)

2:12
Edward Young (1683-1765) in Night Thoughts

And why not think on death? Is life the theme
Of every thought and wish of every hour?

2:14
Edward Young (1683-1765) The Congregation?

Not all those Inminaries quenched at once
Were half so sad as one benighted mind
Which gropes for happiness and meets despair

Isaac Watts (1674-1748)

Absent from Thee my guide! my light!
Without one cheering ray
Through dangers fears and gloomy nights
How desolate my way

Oh shine on this benighted heart
With beams of mercy shine
And let thy healing voice impart
A taste of joys divine

2:15
The Marian martyr John Hooper (1495-1555)
A holy man once said "Lord, I am hell but thou art heaven. I am sin but thou art goodness itself. I am nothing but corruption and vileness but thou art a fountain of purity and perfection." This is to be truly poor in spirit and of such is the kingdom of heaven.
(“Lord, I am hell, but Thou art heaven; I am swill and a sink of sin, but Thou art a gracious God and a merciful redeemer. Have mercy, therefore, upon me … according to Thine inestimable goodness.”)

No comments: