20/07/2023

References to other writers in Sermons 5


In Volume 5 of his published sermons (Short Discourses Vol 5) Beddome makes reference to these sources

5:4 Zechariah 8:23
Theodosius I (347-398)
One of the ancient Fathers thought it a greater honour to be a member of the church than to be Roman Emperor
The reference is to an emperor then not a father.

5:6 Matthew 11:30
Ignatius of Antioch (d 108/140)

Hence, when Ignatius, one of the primitive fathers of the church was carried to the theatre to be exposed to the fury of the wild beasts, he cried out Now I begin to be a disciple

Augustine
Confessions
Grant what thou commandest and then command what thou wilt.

5:9 Acts 14:3
The Great Ejection of 1662

By raising up a constant succession of saints to propagate and defend it, the Lord is still giving testimony to the word of his grace. It was apprehended by some that the interests of religion would be fatally affected by the ejectment of such a multitude of pious and learned ministers, in a former period of history, and such indeed was the case in a communion but if the candlestick was removed from its place, it was fixed elsewhere, and the light diffused abroad.

Towards the end he refers to a number of Puritans

Isaac Ambrose (1604-1664)

Angels, do your office (See Looking unto Jesus)

Dr Andrew Rivett
Let all men have access to visit me. I ought to give an example of dying to other men, as I have taught them the way of holy living I ought to give them an example of livin.

See Nehemiah Coxe (d 1689) A believer's triumph over death exemplified in a relation of the last hours of Dr. Andrew Rivet 1682

Samuel Rosewell (1679-1722)
I am going to heaven and I long to be there. Why are his chariot wheels so long in coming? 

Thomas Halyburton (1674-1712)
It is but a few strokes more and victory, victory forevermore through the Captain of our salvation … My body is going to the clay and my soul to heaven … I that have been many years under the terrors of death can look it in the face with joy
Beddome also refers to his promise to clap before expiring

5:14 Jeremiah 25:6

James Hervey (1714-1759)

Good, when he gives, supremely good,
Nor less when he denies;
E'en crosses, from his sovereign hand,
Are blessings in disguise.

5:15 Matthew 20:6

Hugo Grotius (1583-1645)

One of the most learned ministers of former times complained in the views of eternity that he had spent his life in a sort of busy idleness.

I have fritted life away in a sort of busy idleness, To lead a life to advantage, one must be serious.

Archbishop James Ussher (1581-1656)

And the dying prayer of Archbishop Usher was that God would forgive his sins of omission.

The last words that Archbishop Usher was heard to express, were, "Lord, forgive my sins; especially my sins of omission."

5:16 Hebrews 8:12

Edward Young (Night Thoughts)

My crimes forgive - forgive my virtues too

No comments: