08/03/2007

Hymn Desiring the Divine Presence 560

This is a prayerful hymn of confident trust what ever may come. It is similar to a Methodist hymn beginning 'One thing with all my soul's desire' and including the verse 'Then leave me not when griefs assail, And earthly comforts flee; When father, mother, kindred fail, My God will think on me.'

560 Desiring the Divine Presence CM

UNVEIL thy face most holy Lord, And fill my heart with joy; Thy glories then shall tune my tongue, And all my thoughts employ.

2 Should I be plunged in deep distress, And earthly comforts flee; Yet might I say that thou art mine, ’Twould be enough for me.

3 If in a dungeon dark confined, I still enjoyed thy smile; This would at once disperse the gloom And all my cares beguile. 4 If in a lonely wilderness, My dwelling place should be; Grant me thy presence, and I want No other company.

5 In danger thou art my defence, My help in time of need Whilst others are but friends in name, Thou art a friend indeed.

No comments: