15/03/2021

Three Diary References by John Newton


Two of these have probably been covered but to be complete

Sunday 25 June [1775 incorrectly 18 in diary]
Unworthy as I am, still supported. My own mind seemed dull and unaffected, but I was not straitened in any part of the daily services. A call in the evening from Mr [Caleb] Evans of Bristol, and Mr Dunscomb[e] of [left blank] and went myself with them to call on Mr Beedom [Beddome]. They are to dine with me on Tuesday.

Tuesday 27 June 1775
Mr [Thomas] Robinson attended the morning meeting with us and prayed; soon after he proceeded for Cambridge. ... The three Baptist Ministers came to dinner and Mr Symonds with them; stayed till half past four. The time was spent very agreeably. I drank tea with them at Mrs Andrews’. When returned, found Mr and Mrs Barham, contracted the service at the Great House. Spoke from Revelation 3:10 [Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.]. At seven went to the Baptist Meeting. Mr Beddome preached first from 2 Corinthians 1:24. Then Mr Evans from John 3:3. The latter was a good sermon, but the former gave me a pleasure I seldom find in hearing. It was an excellent discourse indeed, and the Lord was pleased to give me some softenings and relentings of heart. It is long since I had such an opportunity. O Lord soften me yet more and enable me to rejoice in thy peace.

Wednesday 7 August 1776
Attended at the Baptist Meeting… In the evening attended again, heard Mr Beddome from Zechariah 11:12 [And I said unto them, If ye think good, give me my price; and if not, forbear. So they weighed for my price thirty pieces of silver.] He is an admirable preacher – simple, savoury, weighty. His text he used chiefly as a motto. Lord, thou requirest all and nothing. Help me treat and keep with thee upon thine own terms. Admitting no rival to thee. Mingling no righteousness with thine.

No comments: