08/05/2023

Will of Beddome's father, John

This is the will of John Beddome, broken up into paragraphs to make it more readable.

In the name of God, amen.
I John Beddome of the City of Bristol Gentn do make my last will and Testament as follows.
My soul I recommend to God and my Body to the earth And all my worldly estate I dispose of in manner following after my Debts and funeral paid off and discharged to wit: I give devise and bequeath unto my two children Sarah and Martha to be paid them respectively at their attaining their respective ages of twenty two years or sooner if my Exectrix or Executors think fit the sum of fifty pounds apiece
Item I give my son in law Moses Brain one shilling*
Also all the Rest and Residue of my Estate whether real or personal whatsoever and wheresoever I Give devise and bequeath unto my dear and loving Wife Rachell Beddome for ever in case she continues my Widow but in case she alters her condition by marrying again then I give her the sum of two hundred pounds or twenty pounds yearly during her life to be at her option and to be paid her by my good friends Barnard Foskett Gentlem., Caleb Moore Brewer, Francis Collins Seedsman, all of Bristol, and give all my residuary Estate to them for ever, in Trust to sell and dispose of the same amongst my children and the survivor of survivors of them as they shall see fitting and proper, only giving my son Benjamin one hundred pounds more than either of the other shall have had or may have, and my Will and Meaning is that they or the survivors of them shall pay such yearly sum of twenty pounds if chosen by my said Wife by equal quarterly amounts and that they shall not be liable or answerable for any loss that may or shall happen by bad securities or otherwise to my Estate, and may and shall deduct and pay themselves all Moneys Expenses and Charges they shall be at in or about the Execution of the Trust in them reposed (?) and shall not be answerable but only for their respective wilfull misacting, and not for one another
And lastly I do hereby revoke all former Wills and Testaments by me made and do declare this to be my last Will and Testament and my said loving Wife sole Executrix thereof during her continuing her widow, but in case of altering her condition by marraige I make them the said Bernard Foskett, Caleb Moore and Francis Collins my Executors in Trust and my Overseers and Trustees desiring my Widow to be advised by them in all things relating to the management of mt Estate and the payment of the Legaries and Bequests hereby given and bequeathed, and I also desire in case my said Wife shall alter her condition as aforesaid that my said Trustees will take her advice in the disposition of my Estate.
In witness whereof I have to this my last Will and Testament set my hand and seal this twelfth day of June in the Year of our Lord One thousand seven hundred and forty four (1744)
John Beddome
Signed sealed published and declared by the Testor as and for his last Will and Testament in the presence of us who have subscribed as Witnesses in his presence and at his request
Isaac Poynting, Thomas Phelps, Esther Crofts
This will was proved at London the Twenty ninth day of November in the Year of our Lord One thousand seven hundred and fifty seven, (1757) before the Right Honorable Sir George Lee Knight, Doctor of Law, Keeper or Commissary of the prerogative Court of Canterbury lawfully constituted by Oath of Rachel Beddome Widow the sole Executrix named in the said Will to whom the Adminsitration was granted of all and singular the Goods Chattels and Credits of the Deceased, she having been first sworn by Commission duly to administer.
*Not an insult apparently but a sign the person had not been forgotten though the main gift had already been given

No comments: