08/05/2023

Will of Joseph Morse Stow d 1782

... I Joseph Morse of Stow on the Wold ... gentleman ... weak in body ... My debts and funeral expenses are to be paid.
I give the following to Harry Collett of Stow, currier, Robert Hudson of Bampton, yeoman, and Richard Blizzard of Stow, gentleman:
My messuage etc in the Market Place in Stow now in the occupation of William Bristwell.
My messuage in Bampton now in the occupation of William Smith.
My messuage in Sheep St in Stow where I now dwell, with its yard, garden etcIn Trust for the following purposes:To take the rents etc of [all those properties] until Joseph Morse and John Morse, sons of my nephew Joseph Morse, reach age 21, applying them as directed [almost at the end].
When Joseph and John Morse reach 21:Re the [properties] in the Market Place in Stow and in Bampton, In Trust for Joseph Morse Jr and his heirs forever.
If Joseph dies before 21 without issue, In Trust for John Morse and his heirs forever.
If both die before 21 without issue, to permit William Freeman of Bath, currier, to receive the rents etc for life for his own benefit, and after his decease In Trust for Ebenezer Williams of Bampton, yeoman, and his wife and their heirs etc forever.
Re the [property] in Sheep Street in Stow, In Trust for John Morse and his heirs forever.
If John dies before 21 without issue, In Trust for Joseph Morse Jr and his heirs forever.
If both die before 21 without issue, to permit the above William Freeman to receive the rents etc for life for his own benefit, and after his decease In Trust for the above Ebenezer Williams and his wife and their heirs etc forever.
I give my messuage etc in Stow, now in the occupation of Stephen Minchin, to Sarah the daughter of my brother-in-law John Farmer of Bourton on the Water and her heirs forever.
I give my close with its buildings etc in Sheep St in Stow to my nephew John Fox of Stow, blacksmith,*  and his heirs forever, but charged with the payment of £20 to his sister Ann, wife of John Lait of Lew, as and when directed by my Executors so as to prevent her husband from squandering it all away, her receipts (without her husband and not withstanding her coverture) being sufficient discharges.
I give my farm lands etc in GLS Oddington to Robert Hudson of Bampton for life.
After his decease I give [the property] to his sister Jane Hudson for life.
After the decease of both Robert and Jane I give [the property] to Joseph Morse Jr and his heirs forever.
I give £100 to Benjamin Williams of Cote and Thomas Dunscombe, Ebenezer Williams, Thomas Combe and Robert Hudson of Bampton, In Trust to invest it in the public funds and apply the interest etc for the benefit, support and further encouragement of the Religious Society or Meeting at Cote as they think most fit and proper, to be a perpetual fund for that purpose.
[Appointment of replacement trustees if two or more die or refuse to act.]
I give £100 to the Rev Benjamin Bedoine? of Bourton on the Water, Samuel Rollins of GLS Moreton in Marsh, Josiah Hill and the above Harry Collett of Stow, In Trust for the Religious Society or Meeting at Stow as directed above for Cote I give £20 to Benjamin Bedome?
I give the following money legacies, to be paid within one year after my decease (without interest in the mean time) except that of Thomas Morse of Burscott which my Executors are to pay from time to time as they think most fit:£20 each to the Rev Mr Wilkins of Little Rissington and the Rev Thomas Dunscombe of Bampton.
£30 to my brother-in-law Giles Fox.
£30 to my niece Mary, wife of George Hinton of [BRK] Abingdon, also my mourning ring with the name of Hannah Moses.
£20 to my nephew John Nobes of Charney
£30 to my servant Mary Fisher over and above her wages.
£100 to my niece Mary Curtis.
£10 to James Hague of Dunnington to enable him to pay off his Note to the widow of the late Thomas Burford.
£20 to Samuel Fox Jr of Bourton, wheelwright.*
£20 to John Farmer of Bourton, cordwainer.
£10 to Richard Farmer of Stow, breeches maker.
£20 to Frances Taylor of Hampnett, and Whitfield's Sermons.
£20 to Ann, wife of John Hayward, formerly Ann Marshall.
£10 to Farmer Tilling of Tangley Farm.
£10 to Sarah, wife of John Twyning of Bourton.
£5 to the widow of William Jones of Stow.
£5 to James Horseman of Stow, hemp dresser.
£10 to Mary Mosely of Stow, spinster.
£10 to Mary Osmond of Stow, widow.
£5 each to my three faithful workmen Henry Jones, John Gardner and Thomas Arther of Stow.
£10 to Elizabeth Newman of Bampton, widow.
£10 to Hannah, wife of Benjamin Durbrich? of Clanfield.
£20 to Thomas Morse of Burscott.
£100 to Ann, wife of William Tanner of London, butcher.
To Alexander Payne, two volumes of Pool's Annotations, and £5 to his wife.
£30 to Hannah, daughter of my nephew Joseph Morse.
I give £10 to such of the poor of Stow as do not receive weekly relief from the parish, to be distributed immediately after my decease.
I give all my wearing apparel to the above John Morse.
I give £20 each to my Executors over and above all their costs, charges, trouble and expenses.
I give all the residue of my goods, chattels, money and securities for money, effects and all my other estate real and personal to the above Harry Collett, Robert Hudson and Richard Blizzard In Trust to apply [it], together with the rents etc of the above Trust Estates, towards the support, maintenance and education of the above Joseph Jr and John Morse until age 21, and for the better support and maintenance of Armando, wife of my nephew Joseph Morse, as they think most fit.
The surplus (if any) is be divided between Joseph Jr, John and Armando in such proportions as my Trustees think just and reasonable.
I appoint Richard Blizzard, Harry Collett and Robert Hudson joint Executors and Trustees ... revoking all former wills.
Witnesses William Macey, Burford; George Pritchard; An Corbett
Probate 19 Dec 1782 London (PCC) ... Richard Blizard als Blizzard, Harry Collett and Robert Hudson the Executors ...
* Possibly the brothers of William Fox, mentioned elsewhere on this blog

No comments: