14/03/2007

Hymn Jacob's Vow 335

Again on Jacob, this hymn sticks closely to the story identifying closely with the Patriarch. It is quite an ordinary hymn, though the final verse is pleasing.

335 Jacob’s Vow Gen 28:20-22

WHEN Jacob at Luz Was blessed of his God, A stone he set up, The place he called Bethel, Where God had appeared, And for him an altar He gratefully reared.
2 He uttered a vow, If God would still bless, Would grant him supplies, And guide him in peace, To make him his portion And call him his God To yield him his substance, For favours bestowed.
3 Like Jacob of old, My vow would I make, If thou wilt still bless, And never forsake; But grant food and raiment And all needful good, I’ll bless thee and call thee My Lord and my God.
4 An altar I’ll raise, My offerings bring, Thine honour maintain, Thine excellence sing; My self I’ll surrender, Yield all to thy hands, And bow with submission To all thy commands.

No comments: